Information Regarding Your Trash Collection
** Please note the correct 2019-2020 rates below. The Solid Waste Management brochure mailed in mid-September mistakenly listed the Alleyway rate as $27.99, which was incorrect. The correct rate is $27.77 and we apologize for the typo. **
Brush and Bulk
Brush and bulk collection is combined, collected once per month in an amount no greater that four (4) cubic yards. Visit the brush and bulk schedule and map for details on when to place debris at your regular collection location (curb or alley).
Small piles of brush, limbs, and tree trimmings.
- Branches and long brush must be cut into four-foot lengths
- Brush, trunks, and limbs cannot exceed six inches in diameter
- Secure brush in bundles weighing less than 50 lbs. with twine or string
- If a third-party tree trimmer or landscaper is used, make sure they remove brush debris from property.
- Yard waste less than two inches in diameter should be placed in a bag or box and the weight cannot exceed 50 pounds
Bulk items are considered household items such as furniture, mattresses, tables and appliances.
- Water Tanks
- Wood fence pickets
- Household garbage and rubbish
- Refrigerators and window units (freon must be properly removed and equipment tagged by a certified technician)
- Hazardous Waste
- Construction Material (lumber, drywall, paneling, tile, flooring, siding, concrete, etc.
- Trash collection is provided twice per week
- Trash is collected in plastic garbage bags left at the curb or alley
- Loose trash will not be picked up
- Leaves placed in bags is acceptable
- Trash bags must be 30-gallon capacity or less
- Bags cannot weigh more than 35 lbs. each
Commercial properties will be placed on commercial hand pick up when a water account is set up. Commercial properties wanting a dumpster will need to contact Republic Services to set up an account. They also have Recycling Dumpsters available.
Per Article XIV-G, Screening Requirements, Walls, and Fences, refuse storage areas, not within a screened rear service area which are visible from a public right-of-way for all nonresidential, and multi-family uses shall be visually screened by a minimum six (6′) foot screening wall except the side used for garbage pickup service, which much provide a gate. No container shall exceed the height of the screening wall. Refuse containers over eight (8′) feet in height shall require a variance before the Zoning Board of Adjustment. Bollards shall be installed at the rear of the enclosure.
Glass is no longer a recyclable item and the recycling market is changing. For almost three decades American recyclables were shipped to China to be sold and recycled. Due to various economic factors, China no longer accepts the world’s recycling waste and the market has subsequently suffered. Google ‘Operation National Sword’ for more information regarding recycling.
All recyclables must be clean, empty and dry
- Aluminum containers & tin cans (canned goods)
- Plastic containers marked #1, #2 and #5
- Boxes with no wax coating or food residue
- Magazines, junk mail and soft cover books
- Medical Waste
- Plastic bags
- Anything with food/liquid residue
- Carton-style containers with gable top
- Household hazardous waste and/or containers
- Plastic containers marked #3, #4, #6, of #7 (or no number at all)
Schedules & Maps:
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your trash collection not answered here, contact Water/Wastewater Operations Assistant Manager David Dunn at (972) 780-5079. Republic Services provides trash collection to Residential and Commercial customers and can be reached at (972) 225-4207.
Trash Collection Days MAP
- Monday / Thursday – Zone 1
- Tuesday / Friday – Zone 2
Recycling Collection Days MAP
- Monday – Zone 1A
- Tuesday – Zone 2B
- Thursday – Zone 1C
- Friday – Zone 2D
How to prepare your trash for collection:
- Place trash at your curb or alley no later than 7:00 am on your scheduled pick up days
- Place trash in plastic trash bags made for disposal of garbage. Bags should be of sufficient strength to hold contents of trash. All bags must be closed and kept secure to prevent scattering of contents. No trash cans or containers.
Tip: To keep animals away and out of your trash bags spray your bags with a household ammonia/water mix solution. The smell will repel them from the trash.
- Place trash out neatly and separately from other items such as recycling bins, brush, and bulky items.
- Lumber such as fence panels must be cut in 4ft lengths and not to exceed 4ft in width. Lumber should be stacked neatly, bundle with twine, rope or string and weigh less than 50 lbs per bundle.
- Leaves placed in sturdy bags weighing less than 50 lbs per bag may be placed out with trash items. Bags that break open when handled will not be picked up.
- Small piles of brush, branches, limbs, and vines must be cut 4ft in length and bundled with twine, rope or string. Each bundle must weigh less than 50 lbs.
- Bulky items such as, furniture should be placed at your trash pick up location on your second trash day of the week. Do not place several large items out at one time because the garbage trucks must leave room in the trucks for garbage and other items.
If your garbage has not been picked up by 3:00 pm, please notify Republic Services within 24 hours.
New customers can pick up a recycling bin at the city when they request water service. Residents can also pick one up at the Service Center. If you would like to trade out your old bin for a new one, please bring it with you.
You can also request a recycling bin by contacting David Dunn at 972-780-5079 or by calling Republic Services at (972) 225-4207. Please make mention if you would like a trade out of your old recycling bin for the new one.
Duncanville Service Center
330 Shady Trail, Duncanville, TX 75137