Everyone here at the library (and beyond!) tries to come up with ways to make the library a better place. Friendlier, more welcoming, more technologically inclined (we really did get that credit card reader that we promised), more educational, more entertaining.
That requires lots and lots of input, from lots and lots of people. Then we sit down and read through every single bit of it and see what ideas match other ideas and how often and how we can make those ideas work with other ideas. I tell you; it’s a process. A long and arduous one that eventually yields results.
Attached herein you will find those results, typed nice and neat. This, my friends, is what we are doing, what we are trying to do, and what we will try to do in the not-too-distant future.
As always, let us know what you think.
Residents of the city of Duncanville (zip codes 75137 or 75116), Cedar Hill (zip code 75104), and Desoto (zip code 75115) can get a free library card. Just show photo identification and current proof of residence. A valid Texas driver’s license or state ID with a current Duncanville, Cedar Hill, or DeSoto address will work. These other options will work too:
Photo ID (must be valid):
- Driver’s license
- Texas Identification Card
- Military ID
- Consulate ID
Proof of Address:
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Valid Texas Identification Card
- Current utility bill (e.g. water, electricity)
- Current auto insurance card
- Current lease agreement
- Current document from a state or federal government agency
- Current voter’s registration card
- Postmarked Duncanville Library postcard
We take a photo to add to our internal account software. No one outside of library staff ever sees the photos. The purpose is simply to provide an extra layer of security for our patrons.
FYI: library cards expire every year on your birthday. You must bring the card and photo ID in order to get it renewed.
If you’re under 18 you can get a card too. An adult (over 18) must come in with you and show proof of Duncanville residence. This adult is responsible for all fines or other activity on the juvenile’s card.
We’ve got options for people who don’t live in Duncanville.
Duncanville ISD teachers: bring in your school ID and get a free card. You must renew annually with your school ID.
Property owners: bring photo ID and the property tax papers.
Patrons who do not live in the city of Duncanville may purchase a Non-Resident Card at the cost of $35 per year.
Those who only require use of our computers may request a Computer Guest Card.
Residents with a paper TexShare card issued by their home library may present it, along with current photo ID, to be issued a free TexShare Card with limited borrowing privileges.
- There is a $1 fee per signature
- Patrons must present their photo ID (issued by a governmental agency or a passport issued by the United States)
- Documents presented must include the Notarial Certificate. Duncanville Library Staff will not print out or offer advice concerning Notarial Certificates
- This is the part of the document that includes: Given under my hand and seal of office this _______________ day of ______________. (Year) (Personalized Seal) Notary Public’s Signature
- Patron must bring along a witness if needed. Library staff or other patrons cannot be solicited for transactions.
- Documents to be notarized must be in English
- Notaries may not notarize public record documents or photocopies of public record documents
- These include marriage certificates, birth or death certificates, etc.
- Bring the document in its entirety with you to your appointment
- Cash or check only payable at time of service
- No Refunds
- Notary may not complete an I-9 form.
- Services are limited to Acknowledgments only.
- This means that the notary signature doesn’t certify a document as real (e.g. a birth certificate)